Samsung Note series has always been about showcasing how complete a smartphone can be. But is it? Look at the review and specs down below to be the judge of the newest additions of Note family of 2019— Galaxy Note 10, Note 10 Plus and Note 10+ 5G.
Design & Display: Fresh and Unique
One of the major changes you would notice in this year Note series is DESIGN. As 2019 has been about the punch-hole camera for Samsung, Galaxy Note also adopts the same design as its siblings— Galaxy S10 and S10 Plus. However, unlike the camera cutout on S10 boys at the top-right corner, it moved to top-center on Note 10s.
- Galaxy Note 10 – 151 x 71.8 x 7.9 mm, 6.3 inches, Dynamic AMOLED, Full HD+ (1080 x 2280 pixels), 19:9 aspect ratio, 401 ppi density, 90.9% screen-to-body ratio, HDR10+, AOD, Gorilla Glass 6
- Galaxy Note 10+ – 162.3 x 77.2 x 7.9 mm, 6.8 inches, Dynamic AMOLED, Quad-HD+ (1440 x 3040 pixels), 19:9 aspect ratio, 91% screen-to-body ratio, 498 ppi density, HDR10+, AOD, Gorilla Glass 6
The regular Note 10 shares a similar form factor as of S10, and yet packs a 6.3-inch tall display. However, the display is only Full HD+, coming in 2280 x 1080 pixels, AMOLED display with 401 pixels per inch.
On the other hand, the Note 10 Plus measures 6.8 inches, and comes in similar footprint as Note 9’s 6.4-inch display. The display on it is AMOLED+ coming in 1440 x 3040 QHD+ resolution and 19:9 aspect ratio and includes an HDR 10+ technology.
As seen on S10 and S10 Plus, both of Note and Note+ display is equipped with an under-screen fingerprint scanner and is protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 6, with improved resistance to scratch and impact compared to GG5 on the Note 9.
In process of achieving of bigger-yet-lighter Note, Samsung chose to sacrifice headphone jack on this year Note. Honestly, at this point, headphone jack or no-headphone jack doesn’t matter anymore as most of the flagship smartphones have already moved past that.
Without the S-Pen, the Note is incomplete, so, on the bottom edge of the phone, there is an S-Pen slot sitting at the right corner, speaker grill next to it, and USB Type-C in the center. And on the left edge of the phone, you’ll find a volume rocker and the power button. Unlike the Note 9’s dedicated Bixby button, the power button on Note 10, however, works as a Bixby button too, when pressed and held down for a few seconds. Which brings to a clean and uninterrupted right edge side of the phone.
Camera: Note 10 & Note 10+ borrows the same camera from S10 & S10+
The Note lineup always had powerful and impressive camera specs if compared to Galaxy S lineups, but this doesn’t seem true anymore with the latest Note 10 series. If you are familiar with the S10 and S10 Plus camera, the Note 10 also has an identical trio— 12MP main camera, 12MP telephoto lens, and 16MP 123-degree ultra-wide-angle lens.
Apart for the triple-camera on that Note 10, the Note 10 Plus has an extra “TOF 3D” depth sensor sitting right by the vertically aligned camera setup.
Camera Specs Highlights:
- Front – 10 MP, f/2.2, 26mm (wide), 1.22µm, Auto-HDR, Dual Video Call, Dual Pixel PDAF, 4K video recording
- Rear – 12 MP, f/1.5-1.8-2.4, 27mm (wide), 1/2.55″, 1.4µm, Dual Pixel PDAF, Dual OIS + 12 MP, f/2.1, 52mm (telephoto), 1/3.6″, 1.0µm, PAF, OIS, 2x optical zoom + 16 MP, f/2.2, 12mm (ultrawide), 1.0µm, 4K video recording (Note 10 Plus – extra TOF 3D VGA camera)
There is nothing exciting in the camera department, except for the fact, there are two new features for video recording; Live Focus Video and AR Doodle. Live Focus Video is something very much similar to the “Live Focus” or say, “bokeh” mode used for portrait stills, but this time it’s for video. This means you can keep subject in focus and make it stand out from the background. And for the “AR Doodle”, you can use the S-Pen to write/doddle on the top of the camera frame in a real-time.
The “Live Focus Video” is achieved via software on Note 10, however, on Note 10 Plus, ToF (Time of Flight) sensor should do a better job.
On the front, both the Note and Note Plus have a single 10MP selfie camera, which is again identical to S10 but a little disappointment when compared to dual camera setup on S10 Plus.
S-Pen and the Software: Picks up new tricks up its sleeves
S-Pen is the prime factor that draws the line between the Note 10 family from the S10 family, other than that both of the Note and the S-series share similar specs.
The S-Pen in the Note 10 family does most of the jobs as Note 9 but learns some new tricks too such as Air Actions, Handwriting Conversion, and AR Doodle. With the Air Actions’ six-axis motion sensor, the selfie lovers will be able to take remote shots, switch between different shooting modes, and zoom in/out.
The new “handwriting conversion” feature will enable the S-Pen to convert handwriting to easy-to-share printable-text. Besides, you can also highlight, markup the notes. And, Air Doodle allows doodling directly on the camera’s frame.
Besides, the S-Pen gives a premium power to easy PC-grade video editing. Not to forget, the Note 10 lineup runs OneUI interface on the top of Android 9.0 Pie.
Performance & Battery: The gap between Note 10 & Note 10+ is HUGE
All three models of Note 10, comes in two variants of chipset used. In Europe, the Middle East, Africa (and in Nepal), the Note 10s sees an upgraded Exynos 9825, which works more efficient than the Exynos 9820 chipset used in S10 phones. However, the US and China will have to work out with the same Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 chipset used on S10s.
Besides, this chipset is accompanied by 8GB of RAM and 256GB internal storage (with no microSD support) on Note 10, and 12GB of RAM and either of 256GB or 512GB of internal storage (with dedicated slot to expand up to 1TB of storage) on the Note 10+.
On the battery side, the Note 10 revisits the likes of S10 with only 3500mAh, but the Note 10 Plus’ 4300mAh keeps up with the Note 9’s 4000mAh. Looking at the brighter side, both of the devices have an increased charging speeds; Note 10 supports 25W wired fast charging and 12W fast wireless charging, and the Note 10 Plus with 45W super-fast wired charging and 15W fast wireless charging.
- Galaxy Note 10 – 3500mAh, 25W fast charging, 12W Qi wireless charging, 9W Reverse wireless charging
- Galaxy Note 10 Plus – 4300mAh, 45W super-fast charging, 15W Qi wireless charging, 9W Reverse wireless charging
Interestingly, to enjoy the 45W super-fast charging on Note 10 Plus, you will need to spend extra bucks for the new adapter. Also, the company claims with the Note 10 Plus’ 45W super-fast charging, full day’s worth of battery can be charged in just half an hour. Addition to that, reverse charging is improved and faster than the S10 which could be used to power Qi-enabled devices such as phones, the Galaxy Watch Active 2, and AirPods.
Not to forget, the third model— Note 10+ 5G— has Qualcomm’s X50 modem to embrace the 5G era.
Samsung Galaxy Note & Note 10 Plus Price in Nepal
This year Note 10 family comes in colorful options, Aura Glow being the newest one to try out with constantly color-changing back depending upon how light is interacting with it. Other than that, the Note 10 Plus shines in Aura White and Aura Black, while there are few more choices such as Aura Pink and Aura Red for the Note 10.
- Note 10: Aura Glow, Aura Black, Aura Pink, Aura Pink, Aura Red
- Note 10+: Aura Glow, Aura Black, Aura White
Moving to the most important part— Pricing, the Note 10 costs $949, the Note 10+ will cost $1,099, and the Note 10 Plus 5G roars $1,299 in the US. Good thing is, Samsung Nepal has brought the Note 10 family to Nepal too, and already available for the pre-order.
The pre-booking price in Nepal for the Note 10 is Rs. 1,16,000 and for the Note 10 Plus is Rs. 1,35,000. You will be able to pre-book the phone from Aug 12-23.
- Galaxy Note 10 Price – $949 in the US, Rs. 1,16,000 in Nepal (8GB, 256GB)
- Galaxy Note 10 Plus Price – $1,099 in the US, Rs. 1,35,000 in Nepal (12GB, 256GB)
- Galaxy Note 10 Plus 5G Price – $1,299 (256GB), Not announced in Nepal
Steps to Pre-Book Galaxy Note 10 & Note 10+
- Select your convenient location at Pre-Booking Website.
- Choose your desired outlet nearest to your selected location.
- Visit the chosen outlet.
- Provide your personal details and fill-up the pre-booking form.
- Receive the confirmation email after you complete the advance payment.
Don’t forget to get Freebies
After you pre-order the phones, you will be showered with these freebies. It’s best to act now.
- A Galaxy Bud worth Rs. 17,500 for free, or Rs.12,000 if added extra, get a Galaxy Watch Active or 24-inch Curved Monitor.
- Galaxy Gifts: Up to 15% discount on Turkish Airlines flight tickets, Rs. 5000 rooms at KGH Group, up to 15% off on Vayodha Hospitals, up to 20% discount on Let Me In, and up to 10% off on AceTravels.
More on PI