Following the outbreak of COVID-19, everyone is trying their best to find the solution. Most of the tech companies are working 24/7 to find a way to stop this pandemic. Samsung is giving free Galaxy sanitizing service. Alibaba has created an AI-powered diagnosis system for the detection of COVID-19. Following this, International Business Machine (IBM) has initiated a partnership with the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy and the Department of Energy. The main aim of this partnership is to create COVID-19 High-Performance Computing Consortium. This consortium will have the United States’ numerous public and private supercomputers.
COVID-19 High-Performance Computing Consortium
For COVID-19 High-Performance Computing Consortium total of 16 supercomputers will be assembled together. This will offer more than 330 PetaFLOPS of computer power; a combination of 775,000 CPU cores as well as 34,000 GPUs. These high-end power systems will be utilized for research simulations in epidemiology, bioinformatics, and molecular modeling. The knowledge and information gathered from this research will aid in the development in COVID-19 vaccine.
“IBM’s Summit supercomputer at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory has enabled researchers from ORNL and the University of Tennessee to screen 8,000 compounds to discover those that are most likely to bind to the main “spike” protein of the coronavirus.”
According to the officials, the supercomputers participating in IBM’s COVID-19 HPC Consortium includes machines that are operated by IBM, Lawrence Livermore National Lab (LLNL), Argonne National Lab (ANL), Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL), Sandia National Laboratory (SNL), Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL), the National Science Foundation (NSF), NASA, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI), and other technology companies (including Amazon, Google, Cloud, and Microsoft).
More on the Coronavirus News:
- YouTube will lower video streaming quality due to Coronavirus outbreak
- Coronavirus Total Cases and News Update in Nepal
- Ncell gives 10 crore to Government for COVID-19 plus introduces new offer
- World Health Organization cyberattacked amidst COVID-19 pandemic
- Samsung’s free Galaxy Sanitizing Service disinfects phones and kills coronavirus
- Ford, GM, and Tesla given a green light for COVID-19’s ventilator production
- Amid COVID-19 pandemic, Scribd is giving unlimited access to read your favorite books for free
- Shortage of replacement parts in Apple stores due to Covid-19
- Google fully cancels an Online I/O Event 2020 due to Coronavirus