Foldable smartphones are evolving with every day passing by. Smartphone companies like Samsung, Motorola, Huawei, Microsoft, Xiaomi are in the battle of giving users the best experience of the folding phones. There were rumors that Apple has registered a design patent for its version of the foldable phone. Samsung launched its first-ever foldable smartphone, Galaxy Fold. This device received both positive and negative feedback from the users. It was good at something but there was a lot of room for improvement. There were numerous leaks and rumors that Samsung was working on its next foldable phone, Samsung Galaxy Z Flip. Now, finally set aside all the rumors, Samsung has officially announced Samsung Galaxy Z Flip on the Samsung Unpack event on (same month when Poco X2 was unveiled). Here we have the specifications and features of this clamshell foldable device.
Design and Display
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip sports 6.7-inch foldable dynamic AMOLED display having 1080 x 2636 pixels. Galaxy Z Flip has dimensions of 87.4 x 73.6 x 17.3 mm when folded and 167.9 x 73.6 x 7.2 mm unfolded. Not only that, there’s a cover display of 1.06-inch having 116 x 300 pixels protected with corning gorilla glass 6. With this 1-inch display, you can view notifications, text or alarm clock. The display of the Galaxy fold was the one with most issues as it was too fragile. Hopefully, Samsung has improved this time. Unlike the soft plastic display on Galaxy Fold, on Z Flip we have a glass foldable display. Just like on the Galaxy Fold, the cease on the mid-part is clearly visible on this device as well.
Galaxy Z Flip houses the first-ever hole-punch selfie camera in a foldable device. The selfie lens of 10MP, f/2.4, and PDAF lens is placed in the center. With the selfie camera, you will be able to shoot videos 2160@30fps.
For the rear camera, there’s a dual-camera setup. This consists of 12MP, f/1.8, 27mm (wide lens), Dual Pixel PDAF, OIS + 12 MP, f/2.2, 12mm (ultrawide). With the dual rear camera setup, you will be able to shoot videos 2160p@30/60fps, HDR10+.
Performance, Software, and Battery
Qualcomm SM8150 Snapdragon 855+ (7 nm) powers Galaxy Z Flip. For the GPU we have Adreno 640 (700MHz). On the memory aspect, 8GB of RAM is coupled with 256 GB of internal storage. Sadly, there’s no 3.55mm headphone jack. However, the loudspeakers on the bottom are tuned by AKG.
This clamshell foldable device runs on Android 10 alongside One UI 2.0. Talking about the battery 3300mAh fuels this clamshell and supports 15-Watt fast charging and 9-Watt fast wireless charging. As usual, standard USB Type-C is on the charging port. Other features like NFC, accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer, Samsung Pay will be available on this device. Mirror Black, Mirror Purple, and Mirror Gold are the color variants available.
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip Key Specifications
- Release Date: February 2020
- Display: 6.7-inch, 1080 x 2636 pixels
- Cover Display: 1.06-inch, 116 x 300 pixels, Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 6
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM8150 Snapdragon 855+ (7 nm)
- GPU: Adreno 640 (700MHz)
- Memory: 8/256 GB
- OS: Android 10.0; One UI 2
- Selfie Camera: 10 MP, f/2.4, 26mm (wide), PDAF
- Primary Camera: 12MP, f/1.8, 27mm (main lens), Dual Pixel PDAF, OIS + 12 MP, f/2.2, 12mm (ultrawide)
- Battery: 3300mAh, Fast battery charging 15-Watt, Fast wireless charging 9-Watt
- Color Available: Mirror Black, Mirror Purple, Mirror Gold
- Samsung Galaxy Z Flip Price in Nepal: ~ Rs 2,00,000
Price and Availability in Nepal
The Galaxy Z Flip overall has most of the flagship specifications. As the main issue seen of the Galaxy Fold was the display but this time around, Samsung has glass foldable display with Snapdragon 855+ chipset, 8GB RAM, 15-Wat fast charging and 9-Watt wireless charging. The price of the Galaxy Z Flip is $1,380. Keeping Valentine’s Day in mind, the foldable will available for purchase from 14th February. We are not sure about the availability of this device in Nepal. It is unlikely for Galaxy Z Flip to hit the Nepali market. But by chance, if it does, the rough calculation on the price of Galaxy Z Flip in Nepal is under Rs 2,00,000.
- Motorola Razr will last for a year only, CNET folding test reveals
- Apple is fined $27m for slowing down older iPhones
- EU votes in favor of Apple and Android to use the same charger
- Drug Lord Pablo Escobar’s Brother Shows a New Foldable Phone, Escobar Fold 1
- OnePlus might announce its first-ever foldable phone in January CES 2020 along with OnePlus 8 series
- Top 5 Offline Messaging Apps for Android and iOS in 2020