Foldable phones and 5G were the biggest deal of 2019 and it seems the trend is here to stay. 2019 was the beginning of the foldable phones as well as the 5G connectivity. OEM’s like Samsung, Motorola, and Huawei have already launched their foldable phone with many other manufacturers still developing their take in the trend. Among the already launched devices, Samsung’s Z Flip is considered the most polished foldable phone. It packs good hardware and comes with the familiar clamshell form factor. Taking a similar route, Xiaomi seems to be developing its foldable phone as well.
A report by ZDNet Korea says, Xiaomi recently approached Samsung Display to supply it with a clamshell-style foldable display similar to the panel used in the Z Flip devices. The reason for going with Samsung’s panel instead of BOE and CSOT made displays is given to be a big quality gap between them and Samsung’s clamshell screens. The report also says that Xiaomi might ask LG to provide it with the foldable displays.
Furthermore, Xiaomi will reportedly start the mass production of the foldable phone in H2 of 2020. As of yet, there is no information regarding the hardware specification of the device. If Xiaomi is indeed working on the foldable phone, we can expect to see the phone as early as, end of the year. As for hardware the device should sport, Snapdragon 865 SoC, 5G connectivity, 8GB of RAM or higher, and Android 10.
We can also expect the device to be cheaper than the present offerings. Xiaomi is famous for undercutting and offering its product at very competitive prices. If the foldable phone by Xiaomi is in development, it might even undercut the Galaxy Z Flip. As it is too early to say anything about the device, we suggest you take this with a grain of salt.
- Apple unveils the new iPhone SE, looks iPhone 8-like but better and powerful
- Nokia 9.3 PureView to come with in-display selfie camera, 108MP penta-rear cameras
- GitHub now free for all developers, features like unlimited private repositories with unlimited collaborators included
- OnePlus 8 Pro unveiled: The “Flagship Killer” is now a flagship in itself
- Honor 30 Pro Plus, the latest high-end flagship from Honor 30 Series
- NTC brings ‘Zero Balance Package’ to help customers with low balance